If you're a history buff, Iberville Parish has no shortage of historical sites to visit. According to the National Register of Historical Places database, the Parish has 23 landmarks, ranging from churches to plantations to schools. Over the next two weeks, we will explore each of these sites. Whether your looking for something to do for the day, or wanting to take a historical tour of the parish, Iberville has much history to offer.
Bayou Plaquemine Lock- 57730 Main St., Plaquemine. This site served as a commercial transport route in the early 1700's.
Carville Historic District- 5445 Point Clair Road, Carville. The 60-acre plot was known as the Gillis W. Long Hansen's Disease Center and as the Public Heath Service Hospital No. 66, which served as a treatment center for leprosy from1894-1921.
Church of the Nativity- 15615 Laurel St., Rosedale. The church was constructed in 1859. The architectural style is Gothic Revival (19th Century).
Homestead Plantation Complex- La. 3066, three miles SW of Plaquemine. The plantation, also known as Variety Plantation, was built in 1855 and consists of a Greek Revival architectural style.
Live Oaks Plantation- La. 77 North, Rosedale. Built in 1826 by Charles Dickinson and features a French Creole/ Greek Revival architectural style.
Iberville Parish Courthouse- 209 Main St., Plaquemine. Built in 1848, it served as a courthouse until 1906, in which it became the Plaquemine City Hall until 1980. It is currently a museum.
Rivet, Pierre Ernest House- 58159 Plaquemine St., Plaquemine. The historical home has a Greek Revival/ Frech Creole architectural style located in historic downtown Plaquemine.
Nottoway Plantation House- 31025 La. 1, White Castle. Built in 1859, it is the largest antebellum plantation house in the south still in existence.
Plaquemine High School- 600 Plaquemine St., Plaquemine. Built in 1911 and served as both an elementary and high school, until 1931 when a new high school building was constructed. The building is currently the City of Plaquemine Activity Center.
Bayou Paul Colored School- 915 Bayou Paul Road, St. Gabriel. The one-room school was constructed in 1920 by the private African American organization, the United Sons and Daughters Benevolent Society.
St. Gabriel Roman Catholic Church- 3625 La. 75, St. Gabriel. Built in 1769, one of the oldest wooden churches along the Mississippi River. Open by appointment only.
Bagatelle Plantation House- 695 La. 991, Sunshine. Built in the 1800's, the plantation consists of a Greek Revival architectural style, designed by R. S. Chadsey.