Fumes force closure of new childhood center
Vapors from a cement sealant sent two teachers to the hospital and forced the closure of the new Early Childhood Center at Iberville Elementary School Monday, just days ahead of its official opening, Superintendent P. Edward Cancienne Jr. reported.
The fumes from the sealant, applied over the weekend, caused stomach upsets for two students, he said.
“We did not let the kids back in for the rest of the day,” Dr. Cancienne said.
The center was reopened for classes Tuesday, the superintendent confirmed.
Acadian Ambulance EMTs administered oxygen to the two teachers, who experienced breathing problems, and took them to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge for treatment, Cancienne said. He said they appeared to be recovering when he visited them at the hospital Monday afternoon.
An official ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house is planned at the new $7.5 million facility at 6 p.m. tonight (Thursday).