Iberville Parish 4-H hosts Achievement Day
PLAQUEMINE - Hundreds of local 4-H'ers were recognized for their accomplishments during the 2012-13 school year at 4-H Achievement Day on May 10 at the C.M. "Mike" Zito Multipurpose Center.
This annual celebration featured a series of hands on educational demonstrations, activities, contests, and awards.
The 2012-13 Iberville 4H Program theme is "Social Responsibility: Lending a Helping Paw to Animals in Need." Throughout the 2012-13 school year, Iberville Parish 4-H'ers lead the Iberville Pet Pals Project, a service learning project to raise awareness about animal neglect issues in Iberville Parish and to encourage residents to be responsible animal owners.
Components of this project and theme were incorporated into Achievement Day in the form of photo displays, t-shirts, banners and name tags designed by 4-H'ers.
Achievement Day activities celebrated social responsibility by celebrating leadership, camaraderie and teamwork among youth in Iberville Parish.
The educational portion of the event included the following activities lead by youth and adult volunteers: "HMM Farms Petting Zoo" by Iberville 4-H Jr. Leaders Hunter Monismith and Chance Hracek, "Louisiana Black Bear" presentation by West Baton Rouge 4-H Agent Elliott Scroggs, "Summer Spritzer"
Healthy Living Demonstration by Iberville 4-H Program Assistant Kathy Jones and West Baton Rouge Food and Nutrition Agent Tiffany Williams, "Social Responsibility" presentation by 4H Volunteers Sally Ramagos and Katie Ramagos, "Let's Get Growing" Horticulture Activity by Plaquemine Service League
Member Nealey LeBlanc and Iberville 4H Jr. Leaders Alice Cochran and Sydney David, "Leaping into Leadership" station by Iberville 4H Jr. Leaders Morgan Badeaux and Gabrielle Deslatte, and "Teambuilding: Obstacle Course Challenge" by Iberville 4H Jr. Leaders Troy Martin and Joseph Zito.
The educational series was followed by an awards ceremony, in which school clubs, individual 4-H'ers, volunteers and program supporters were recognized for their contributions to the Iberville Parish 4-H Program.
Awards Ceremony Highlights:
- Lisa and Robert Hracek were selected to receive the 'Friend of 4-H' Award for their outstanding volunteer work for the Iberville Parish 4-H Program and the Iberville Livestock Boosters Club. Iberville 4-H'ers Raylan and Chance Hracek presented the award to their parents during the ceremony.
- Beth Bueche, St. John Elementary/Middle School Volunteer 4-H Club Leader, received the 'Outstanding 4-H Club Leader' Award for her dedication and service to her school 4-H Club and parish-wide programming.
- Dorseyville Elementary students won 29 ribbons for their 4-H project work. Students completed the following: 4-H Record Books, 'Discovering 4-H' Project Books, 'Bicycle: Wheels in Motion' Project Books, 'Wiggles and Wags' Projects Books, '4-H Citizenship Project' and 'Sewing: Under Construction' Project Books.
- St. John School and the Iberville Parish Math & Science Academy West were recognized for collecting the more than 200 bath towels during the Iberville Pet Pals Towel Collection Drive. All towels will be donated to the Iberville Parish Animal Control to use in the kennels.
- Iberville Parish Math & Science Academy - East was recognized as the "Most Traveled Club," because school administrators and students coordinated bus trips for the students to attend monthly Jr.
Leadership Club Meetings at the Iberville 4-H Office.
- The Iberville/West Baton Rouge Livestock Show Team members were recognized for their dedication to their livestock projects. The 2013 Iberville/West Baton Rouge Livestock Show Team Members are: Kyleigh Andre, Jaselyn Berthelot, Abigail Courville, Kelsie Courville, Kolleen Courville, Amanda Distefano, Kaitlyn Dugas and Jenny Windham from Holy Family Elementary/Middle School; Emma Sarradet from Lukeville Elementary School; MSAE; Danielle Blanchard from MSAE; Albert Deville, Chance Hracek, Raylan Hracek, Claire Martinez, Hunter Monismith and Elise Persick from MSAW; Daniel Easterly and Paul Clayton Easterly, Jr. from North Iberville Elementary; Gabrielle Deslatte, Gracie Romero and Racheal Sandidge from St. John School and Members at Large Madalynn Barbay, Alice Cochran, Alexis Joffrion, Cheyenne Joffrion, Emma King, Breanne Keowan and Beau Navarre.
- St. John Elementary/Middle School and Dorseyville Elementary School were recognized for 'Outstanding School 4-H School Clubs.' Both groups participate in year-round 4-H camps, workshops, service projects, and school activities.
- Sophia Tempanaro, St. John Middle School 8th grader, and Troy Martin, MSAW 10th grader, received 4-H Award of Excellence Medals for outstanding leadership in their communities and schools.
- The following students were recognized as 'Outstanding 4-H'ers' for their project work, participation, and community service efforts to their school 4H Clubs and to parish-wide 4H initiatives. Jr. Division (4th- 6th grades): Elise Jackson, St. John Middle School; Claire Martinez, MSAW and Sha'Myra Stevenson, Dorseyville Elementary School. Jr. High Division (7th-12th grades): Olivia Ledet, St. John Middle School; Sophia Tempanaro, St. John Middle School and Hunter Monismith, MSAW 8th grade. High School Division (9th- 12th graders): Racheal Sandidge, St. John High School; Elise Persick, MSAW; Joseph Zito, St. John High School and Morgan Badeaux, MSAW.
- Achievement Day Contest Winners included: Banner Contest Award: White Caste High School; Name Tag Contest Award: St. John Elementary/Middle School; Most Original Name Tag Medal: Brant Theriot, White Castle High School; Stomp, Song & Yell Award: Dorseyville Elementary School; T-shirt Contest Award: North Iberville Elementary School and Spirit Stick Award: St. John School.