Dow Westside YMCA gearing up for the best summer ever
At the end of the summer, families want to hear their child had “the best summer ever.” To help make that happen, the Dow Westside YMCA is offering summer camp, keeping children and teens in Addis adventurous, active, engaged and healthy all summer long. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Summer is the ideal time for children to get up, get out and explore. But for some children, summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some children can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending YMCA summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for children to keep their minds and bodies active.
“It’s imperative that children stay engaged socially, physically and academically throughout the summer. Summer camp is a wonderful way to ensure that,” says Kristen Hogan, Marketing Director, YMCA of the Capital Area. “In our summer camp, children are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their children the gift of camp to keep them active and engaged all summer long.”
Kristen Hogan says there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
1. ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen.
Visit ymcabr.org/camp for details.
2. HEALTHY FUN: Summer camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
3. PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
4. FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
5. MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The Dow Westside YMCA offers traditional day camp programs which includes weekly themed activities, field trips, swimming, STEM and more! To ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Dow Westside YMCA offers financial assistance to those in need. If you’re interested in helping send children to camp this summer, you can donate at ymcebr.org/give.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 131 years. The Dow Westside YMCA continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their children’ character.
For more information, visit ymcabr.org/camp or contact Billi Romero at 225-687-1123.
Contributed by YMCA Dow Westside