Wag-a-Sac damaged by early morning fire

Deidre Cruse

A early morning fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen of the Wag-a-Sac Convenience Store last Thursday, according to Plaquemine Fire Chief Mackie Guillot.

There was smoke and water damage to the dining area of the popular lunch spot, he said.

Guillot said Wag-a-Sac owner Bill Blanchard received a call at home from his alarm company and met firefighters at the scene just after 3:30 a.m.

“Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the building, but no visible flame,” the chief said. “Upon entry, they found the kitchen to be fully involved.”

Guillot said he and his team – eight paid firefighters and six volunteers – worked until 6:38 a.m. to make sure they had doused the “hot spots” in the ceiling and in the extensive ventilation system.

He said the Wag-a-Sac crew had left some briskets to slow cook overnight for lunch, as they have done for years, but it was impossible for firefighters to tell how the fire started.

“It’s unfortunate because they’ve been doing it forever,” he said. “The insurance company will go in there and look at it.”

“We couldn’t pinpoint the origin,” the chief said.