Iberville Museum holds fundraiser gala at St. Louis Plantation
Members of the Iberville Museum Association and their guests enjoyed a Sunday afternoon at St. Louis Plantation in Plaquemine as part of a fundraiser gala event.
John and Rev. Karen Gay hosted the event at the plantation home, built in 1858 by Revolutionary soldier Joseph Erwin, and continuously owned and maintained by his descendants, the Gay family of Plaquemine.
Attendees were welcomed with gospel music provided by Tate Edwards, Shirley Jones, Doris O'Bear; Annette Miller, and Roosevelt Pierre who performed on the front gallery of the historic home.
It was a rare occasion for locals who attended the event because the home is a private residence, not open to the public.
The gala was a continuation of activities related to IMA's 10- Year Anniversary Celebration which began in June of this year.
Plaquemine Service League members, St. John High School student volunteers and Gloria Weldon, Melwyn Barker, Rosamond Nicolosi, Michael Eby, Janie LeBlanc, and
Pat Picou served as tour guides for the afternoon. Museum Director Tonya Nicolosi greeted guests at the front entrance.
St. Louis Plantation is the oldest sugar plantation on the Mississippi River continuously owned and operated by one family. Price and John Gay, who own and operate St. Louis Planting, Inc., managed the home and property. Captain Joseph Erwin acquired the site of the home in 1807.
Edward J. Gay of St. Louis, Missouri took over the running of the plantation. It was under his ownership that the current residence was built. He renamed the plantation “St. Louis” after his hometown.