Some 300 have applied for Gustav home repairs

Deidre Cruse

A total of 212 Plaquemine homeowners pre-applied for federal funds to repair damages from Hurricane Gustav, housing consultant Roberto Macedo told the Board of Selectmen last week.

Another 90 in northern and central parts of the parish also are seeking funding from $7 million set aside from a $43 million pot of hurricane recovery funds awarded to the parish, Macedo said. Some 700 low-income homeowners could qualify for grants of around $10,000 each, he said.

Low-income Plaquemine homeowners had from April 4-29 to call in to pre-apply for some $1 million the city set aside from its recovery money. Macedo said the next step is to do a full application, during which applicants must provide proof of ownership and income and other information, such as proof they have paid their property taxes.

“If all were to qualify, you would go way over budget,” he warned the city council.

In addition to Plaquemine, 43 have pre-applied in the Town of Maringouin; 11 in the Village of Rosedale; eight in the Village of Grosse Tete; 28 in the unincorporated areas of the parish north of I-10, and 54 in unincorporated central and western portions of the parish, Macedo said.

The pre-application period for those in unincorporated areas south of Plaquemine will start Monday (May 23) and run through June 10.

Pre-application periods had not been scheduled for unincorated areas north of Plaquemine, the Town of White Castle, the City of St. Gabriel and unincorporated areas of the Eastside.