Hurricane Ida strengthens in Gulf, will be 'extremely dangerous': Track storm's path, landfall
Hurricane Ida continues to strengthen as it moves toward the Gulf Coast and is expected "rapidly intensify" before making landfall on Sunday, according to the hurricane advisory.
Hurricane Ida is hours away from landfall along the Louisiana coast.
The 10 p.m. Saturday update from the National Weather Service indicated the storm was about 330 miles southeast of New Orleans and moving northwest at 16 mph.
A slight shift in Hurricane Ida's track to the east on Saturday had forecasters concerned about storm surge and rainfall in areas that can't handle heavy rain, particularly Barataria and Terrebonne bays.
Life-threatening wind could begin along the Louisiana coast as early as Saturday night "and then spread inland to the New Orleans, Houma and Baton Rouge metro areas on Sunday," the NWS forecast said.
If Hurricane Ida's path brought intense rain over New Orleans, forecasters feared it could lead to extremely dangerous flash flooding in the metro area.
Hurricane preparedness:Severe storms checklist: How to prepare for Hurricane Ida and the 2021 hurricane season
Hurricane-force winds extend 30 miles from the center, and tropical storm-force winds extend 125 miles from the center.
Hurricane Ida evacuations:What we know about recommended, mandatory orders
'This will be a life-altering storm':National Weather Service meteorologist says of Hurricane Ida
Storm surge risk areas due to Hurricane Ida
- Morgan City, LA, to mouth of the Mississippi River: 10-15 feet
- Mouth of the Mississippi River to Ocean Springs, MS, including Lake Borgne: 7-11 feet
- Intracoastal City, LA, to Morgan City, LA, including Vermilion Bay: 6-9 feet
- Ocean Springs, MS, to MS/AL border: 4-7 feet
- Lake Pontchartrain: 5-8 feet
- Lake Maurepas: 4-6 feet
- Pecan Island, LA to Intracoastal City, LA: 3-5 feet
- MS/AL border to AL/FL border, including Mobile Bay: 2-4 feet
- Sabine Pass to Pecan Island, LA: 1-3feet
Severe storms checklist:How to prepare for Hurricane Ida and the 2021 hurricane season
COVID-19 & Hurricane Ida:Grappling with COVID-19 surge, Ochsner hospitals prepare for major Hurricane Ida
Hurricane Ida windspeed, location
Here is the latest data on Hurricane Ida pulled from the National Hurricane Center’s 4 p.m. CT Saturday advisory.
- Location: 145 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River, 235 miles southeast of Houma
- Maximum sustained winds: 105 mph
- Movement: Northwest at 16 mph
- Pressure: 964 MB (millibars)
- When next advisory will be released: 1 a.m. CT (intermediate), 4 a.m. CT (complete)
Hurricane Ida watches and warnings
A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for:
- Vermilion Bay, Lake Borgne, Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas
- East of Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge Louisiana to the Alabama/Florida border
- Mobile Bay
A Hurricane Warning is in effect for:
- Intracoastal City, LA, to the mouth of the Pearl River
- Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas, Metropolitan New Orleans
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for:
The Tropical Storm Warning has been extended eastward along the northern Gulf coast to the Alabama/Florida border.
Cameron, LA, to west of Intracoastal City, LA
- Mouth of the Pearl River to the Mississippi/Alabama border