3 things to know about search firm, advisory group helping Auburn find new football coach
Auburn will have plenty of help in its search to find a football coach to replace Gus Malzahn, who was fired on Sunday after eight seasons at the helm.
The athletic department formally announced Tuesday that it hired Parker Executive Search Firm, out of Atlanta, and put together an eight-member advisory group.
Here are three things to know about the latest developments on the Plains:
Hiring a search firm is par for the course
Auburn has used one at least twice in the past decade, first to hire Malzahn as head coach in 2013 and again to hire an offensive coordinator during the latter part of his tenure.
The search firm's job isn't necessarily to find the candidates – that Auburn's power brokers can do on their own – but rather to vet them, gauge their interest and use as a conduit to begin the conversation.
The advisory group has some familiar names on it
It includes current members of the administration, former football standouts and some star alumni.
- Allen Greene; director of athletics
- Lieutenant General Ron Burgess; executive vice president, Auburn University
- Dr. Beverly Marshall, Auburn faculty athletics representative
- Tim Jackson; executive associate AD, Auburn athletics
- Bo Jackson; Auburn football letterman, 1985 Heisman Trophy winner
- Quentin Riggins; Auburn football letterman, Auburn board of trustees
- Randy Campbell; Auburn football letterman
- Michelle McKenna; chief information officer, National Football League
There is no set timeline to make a hire
The early signing period begins Wednesday, but that doesn't seem to have put Auburn in any rush to make a hire.
Defensive coordinator and interim coach Kevin Steele is considered to be one of the top candidates, but many of the other names that have been linked to the job – including (but not limited to) Oregon coach Mario Cristobal, Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin and Louisiana coach Billy Napier – have games to coach this weekend.