Shreveport-Bossier area’s top 10 high school football teams entering Week 3
Here's a look at the top 10 high school football teams in the Shreveport-Bossier City area, as ranked by the USA TODAY Sports Network, after votes by area coaches and reviewing power ratings.
Byrd remains No. 1 after getting past Huntington, while Haughton and North DeSoto move into the poll for the first time.
1. Byrd (2-0) – The Jackets are hitting on all cylinders with their cadre of running backs and quarterback Lake Lambert who led a 423-yard rushing attack against Huntington last week. The Cavaliers will pose a problem, but may not be able to slow the onslaught. This week: vs. Calvary (1-1)
2. Captain Shreve (2-0) – The Gators face perhaps the best running back in the state this week on the road in the Farmers’ Trey Holly, an LSU commitment. Holly scored four TDs against Airline and will be looking for more. This week: at Union Parish (2-0)
3. Many (2-0) – The Class 2A Tigers are destroying every team in their path, which include a 5A and 4A team by an 88-10 combined score. The Bucs have scored 79 points in two games, so this could be interesting. This week: vs. Haughton (2-0)
4. Ruston (1-1) – The Bearcats rebounded from their Warren Easton loss to get past Jesuit and they go out of state this week in maneuvering through one of the toughest schedules in the region. This week: vs. Cabot, Arkansas (2-0)
TOP PERFORMERS: Who stood out in Shreveport area football games last week
5. Parkway (2-0) – The Panthers are on a roll and the roll continues this week with their final non-district game against the winless Bearkats. Ashton Martin keeps making the most of his opportunities. This week: vs. Bossier (0-2)
6. Northwood (1-1) – The Falcons rebounded from their loss to Benton by dominating Wossman 35-0. Northwood tests another 5A school this week, so we’ll see if they’ve righted their ship. This week: vs. Airline (0-2)
7. North DeSoto (2-0) – The Griffins have turned into an offensive juggernaut behind John Lewis, who posted 242 yards and four TDs last week. He could have a bigger week Friday. This week: vs. Loyola (0-2)
8. Huntington (1-1) – The Raiders drop a bit after being unable to slow the Byrd rushing attack last week. Kam Evans teaming with Tre Carter is a fun duo to watch. This week: vs. Neville (1-1)
9. Benton (1-1) – The Tigers face the country’s No. 1 quarterback prospect on the road this week in Newman’s Arch Manning. Benton isn’t shying away from perhaps their toughest schedule in Reynolds Moore’s reign. This week: vs. Newman (2-0)
10. Haughton (2-0) – The Buccaneers got two touchdowns apiece from Colin Rains and Tyler Rhodes in a domination of LaGrange to move into the poll for the first time. This week: at Many (2-0)
Jimmy Watson covers Shreveport-Bossier area sports. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @JimmyWatson6.