Top 10 high school boys basketball teams in Alexandria area for week of Jan. 3
Here are the top 10 high school boys basketball teams in Central Louisiana entering the week of Jan. 3.
1. Peabody (14-3): Despite a 50-41 loss to Breaux Bridge, the Warhorses hang on to the top spot thanks to Markell McClain averaging 20.5 points in the last four contests. LAST WEEK: No. 1.
2. ASH (13-2): The Trojans were busy, yet successful during the Christmas break with a 7-1 mark as Noah Jonker topped 20 points in three games. LAST WEEK: No. 2.
3. Natchitoches Central (10-3): The Chiefs move up a spot as Dalyn Davis recorded three 20-point games in their 5-0 record during the holiday break. LAST WEEK: No. 4.
4. Lakeview (17-2): The Gators suffered their first two losses of the season during the break, but currently hold the No. 2 spot in the Class 2A power rankings after going 4-2 over the past two-and-a-half weeks. LAST WEEK: No. 3.
5. Northwood (11-4): The Gators lost to Natchitoches Central and ASH during the break, but remain at No. 5 after Omarion Layssard scored 28 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in a 64-62 win over Avoyelles Charter. LAST WEEK: No. 5.
THE COMEBACK:After 20 forfeits derailed last season, Peabody boys basketball back in chase for Class 4A state title
22 IN '22:From Carlos Bazert to London Williams, here are 22 Alexandria area athletes to watch in 2022
PRE-HOLIDAY BOYS RANKINGS:Peabody remains No. 1 in Alexandria area high school boys basketball top 10
6. Anacoco (16-8): Despite losing four of its last five, Anacoco is showing that it can play well against bigger schools, especially with a 72-68 win over LaGrange on Dec. 27. LAST WEEK: No. 7.
7. Simpson (13-5): The Broncos’ last game came on Dec. 16, but they defeated Holden 70-53 behind Braxton Basco’s 25 points. LAST WEEK: No. 8.
8. Many (4-2): The Tigers lost to a pair of state championship contenders in ASH and Zwolle to drop two spot. LAST WEEK: No. 6.
9. Hornbeck (16-3): The Hornets played against four opponents from District 1-4A – going 2-2 with close losses to Shreveport-area teams Northwood and Woodlawn. LAST WEEK: No. 9.
10. Calvin (17-1): The Cougars last played on Dec. 16 and defeated Weston, 73-48, to keep their lead atop the Class C power rankings. LAST WEEK: No. 10.