Shreveport-Bossier area’s top 10 high school football teams entering Week 4
Here's a look at the top 10 high school football teams in the Shreveport-Bossier City area, as ranked by the USA TODAY Sports Network, after votes by area coaches and reviewing power ratings.
Byrd remains No. 1 after getting past Calvary, while undefeated North Caddo moves into the poll for the first time.
1. Byrd (3-0) – The Jackets survived talented Calvary, a Class 2A team with 5A talent, to set up this week’s clash of the top two teams in Shreveport-Bossier and two teams ranked in the LSWA statewide football poll. Get there early and plan to stay late for this one. Last week: Ranked No. 1. This week: vs. Captain Shreve (3-0)
2. Captain Shreve (3-0) – The Gators passed the Trey Holley test, although they gave up tons of yardage, but the real test comes this week for Kenyon Terrell and company. Are Jayden Edwards and Marquez Stevenson ready for prime time? Last week: Ranked No. 2. This week: vs. Byrd (3-0)
3. Many (3-0) – The mega matchup in the state this week will see Texas commitment Arch Manning’s Newman Greenies visiting USC commitment Tackett Curtis’ Tigers. Think parking won’t be at a premium for this Class 2A clash of titans Friday night in Sabine Parish? Folks may have to park at Toledo Bend to get in. Last week: Ranked No. 3. This week vs. Newman (3-0)
TACKETT TACKLER: Many's Tackett Curtis has a rough and rowdy post
SPEED DEMON: Captain Shreve's Marquez Stevenson fastest WR in La.
4. Ruston (2-1) – A late field goal helped the Bearcats stay in the win column in a tough battle with Cabot (Ark.). This week, the ‘Cats face a team that’s averaging nearly 50 points per game. Ranked No. 4. This week: at Lafayette Christian (3-0)
5. Parkway (3-0) – Can anyone slow down the prolific Panthers, who generated 358 yards of offense against Bossier? Next up to make the effort is Haughton, which hopes to generate more offense than it did against Many. Last week: Ranked No. 5. This week: at Haughton (2-1)
6. North DeSoto (3-0) – The Griffins can beat you with the legs of John Lewis and Brian Banks or with the arm of Luke Delafield. They seem to enjoy it either way, and it’ll cause trouble for the Crimson Tide this week. Last week: Ranked No. 7. This week: at Minden (1-2)
7. Benton (1-2) – Not sure if the Tigers have any energy remaining after the marathon 54-52 loss to Newman in New Orleans, but they’ll need all they can muster to get past longtime rival Airline in their District 1-5A opener. Last week: Ranked No. 9. This week: vs. Airline (0-3)
8. Northwood (2-1) – The Falcons struggled to get past an improved Airline team, and their pass defense will get tested this week by one of the best quarterbacks in the area. Watch for Kam Evans’ passing game against Mar’Jayvious Moss’s pass defense. Last week: Ranked No. 6. This week: vs. Huntington (1-2)
9. North Caddo (3-0) -- The Titans have survived all tests this season but get their toughest trial to date this week when they visit Monroe. Playing up against a top Class 4A opponent on the road and winning would be a crown jewel. Last week: unranked. This week: at Neville (2-1)
10. Haughton (2-1) – After losing on the road to the best Class 2A football team in the state, the Buccaneers return home to test the Panthers in the Brotherton Brothers (Jason vs. Coy) Bowl. Last week: Ranked No. 10. This week: vs. Parkway (3-0)
Dropped out: Huntington (1-2)
Jimmy Watson covers Shreveport-Bossier area sports. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @JimmyWatson6.