The 18-year-old Brockton School student charged with "sexting" in school was released without bail this morning after his arraignment in Brockton District Court. Evans Cesar, of Brockton, pleaded not guilty to a charge of dissemination of obscene matter harmful to a minor.

The 18-year-old Brockton School student charged with "sexting" in school was released without bail this morning after his arraignment in Brockton District Court. 


Evans Cesar, of Brockton, pleaded not guilty to a charge of dissemination of obscene matter harmful to a minor. He was released on personal recognizance on the conditions that he have no contact with the victim in the video and have no cellphone on the grounds of Brockton High School, according to the court. 


School police arrested him on Tuesday after a graphic sexual video on a cell phone circulated to other students at the school, police and school authorities said.


Cesar is a junior at the high school and believed to be the originator of the video, said Principal Susan Szachowicz. Officials suspect the video was sent to at least a dozen students, she said.


“It’s a disgusting video of a sexual act, an oral sex act,” Szachowicz said Tuesday. “We’re asking all parents to help us. They should check their kids’ phones.”


Cesar was taken into custody at the high school Tuesday afternoon. Police charged him with disseminating obscene material to a minor, said police Lt. Robert Sergio.


Authorities believe the video circulated between cell phones on Monday night, Szachowicz said, and on Tuesday morning students “came to school talking about it.”


Several students approached school officials in the morning to report the video was circulating, she said.


The video appeared to be ending up on the phones of students in one particular circle of friends, so school officials began checking the phones of those students, Szachowicz said.


“One assistant housemaster had a student’s phone in hand, and the phone buzzed, and there came the video,” she said.


The video lasts for one or two minutes and depicts a male and female, who appear to be teenagers or young adults, Szachowicz said.


Authorities were trying to determine on Tuesday who the people are and whether they attend the high school, said Szachowicz and Sergio.


The incident is the most recent case in the region of “sexting” — sending nude photos or videos using cameras on cell phones.


Authorities say it’s a fast-growing problem, cropping up in communities large and small throughout the greater Brockton and Taunton areas. Last year, officials in Easton, Raynham and Holbrook reported cases of sexting among teenagers.


Szachowicz said the incident Tuesday was the first known case of sexting at Brockton High.


School officials called numerous parents of students who received the video to alert the parents to the situation.


Authorities are still investigating the incident, and it’s possible more students may be arrested, she said.


“We have some scared kids today, and they should be,” Szachowicz said. “We will prosecute.”


Kyle Alspach can be reached at kalspach@enterprisenews.com.